Former DuPont Factory
In 1939, DuPont constructed a full-scale facility in Seaford to begin commercial production of nylon. Nylon was the first totally synthetic fiber to be fashioned into consumer products. Prepared wholly with materials readily derived from coal, air, and water, nylon revolutionized the textile industry. The 750-acre plant along the Nanticoke River contributed to Seaford’s prosperity in the mid-twentieth century and gave it the nickname ―the Nylon Capital of the World. Plant construction took one year and cost $8 million. The plant at Seaford initially employed 850 people and had a capacity of 4 million pounds a year. In 2004 DuPont sold operations to Invista, a company that continues use of the site today.