Luke’s Protestant Episcopal Church
The origin of this parish can be traced to 1704, when a log chapel known as St. Mary’s was constructed. The devastating impact of the Revolution on the Church of England in America contributed to the discontinuation of services there by the early 1800s. In 1835, the Rev. Corry Chambers was sent to the Seaford area by the Diocese of Delaware. Finding St. Mary’s in ruins, he organized St. Luke’s from the remnants of the former congregation. Services were held for a time in Union Meeting House at High and Church Streets. This site was donated by Dr. John Gibbons, and construction of the present church occurred 1838-1843. The church was remodeled and enlarged in 1886. Facilities were further expanded with the completion of a Parish House in 1931. Prominent citizens interred in the adjoining cemetery include William H. Ross, Governor of Delaware (1851-1855); and Edward L. Martin, member of the United States House of Representatives (1879-1883). St. Luke’s Protestant Episcopal Church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The Gothic Revival structure is a faithful representation of English country church architecture and is in a high state of preservation.