Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this residence reflects several periods of architecture, ranging from the Georgian style through Federal and Victorian Gothic. It was once a mansion house for a very large farm. The earliest section of Spring Garden is the large brick main core, built shortly after the Revolutionary War circa 1782. In the late 19th century, the “father of chemical engineering” – Dr. Warren Kendall Lewis – was born and raised here, leading to Spring Garden also being known as “Lewis Homestead”. Around 1880 a second major phase of construction took place with the building of the large Victorian Gothic wing.