Located near the Woodland Ferry landing, Cannon Hall was the most prominent building in the area. Built in 1820, Cannon Hall was originally intended as a home for Jacob Cannon and his bride, but after she decided not to marry him, he never moved in, and the house stood empty for many years. The Cannon family first opened the ferry across the river here in the 1760s. Cannon Hall was a five-bay, two-story frame house. The central hall is typical of Sussex County Georgian houses. Details of the house were very well executed and reflect the prosperity of the builder. Cannon Hall was destroyed by a fire in late 2010.