Constructed in 1727, and enlarged in 1733; the Cannon-Maston House is one of Sussex County’s oldest brick buildings. The house was built by Thomas Cannon on land that he inherited from his father, James, after he passed away in 1712. The house’s other namesake; Halsey H. Maston, purchased the home from the Cannon family in 1851. When the Cannon-Maston House was built, this area of Sussex County was still a part of Maryland. It did not become a part of Delaware until the American Revolution. In many of its details, the house’s construction is much more typical of Maryland styles than Delaware styles, serving as a reminder of the contentious early history of this part of the state.