Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Chipman’s Mill is located on the mill pond of the same name near Laurel. The one story mill, built by Joseph Chipman in 1884, functioned into the late 1940’s before it fell into disuse. Chipman’s Mill was powered solely by water. Small mills of this type existed during the nineteenth century on virtually every stream throughout Sussex County. The wood frame was destroyed by fire in 1986 but the concrete foundation, concrete turbine, and other pieces remain.