Ross Point School
Ross Point School is a historic, rural, African-American school building located near Laurel. The Ross Point School was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NHRP) in 2001. Built during the early 1920’s, it is an example of one style of Colonial Revival architecture, designed by architects Guilbert & Betelle, and funded by the wealthy philanthropist Pierre S. DuPont. The design included numerous advances in sanitation, hygiene, safety, and comfort for the students. Ross Point demonstrated a better, more equitable education for future generations of African Americans. The Ross Point School carries significance as part of the reform movement to improve the conditions under which African-Americans were educated in Delaware. The building was used as a school until it closed its doors on September 24, 1964.